Progress Update: 2.5D Platformer in Unity
Here’s what’s ahead for this next article series
So far, in our 2.5D journey I’ve developed a number of systems to help the player move around the world in interesting ways. We have collectible objects to add reward to the risk of there… not being any… ground. Down there. We also made moving platforms and elevators, wall-jumping, and pushing objects around with Rigidbody physics.
The next arc of articles will focus on adding a 3D player character with animations and a new climbing ability. As well, I’ll adapt our existing mechanics to match the new setup.
Here’s a full list of what’s to come and what I hope to learn in the process:
- Setting up 3D character animations and scripting the appropriate triggers for each animation state in C#.
- Scripting a modular wall grab and climb system.
- Refactoring my elevator script into a multi-floor lift.
- Adding a fun coin material to the collectible object.
- Creating a new, modular moving platform prefab using the new assets and old code.
- Creating a ladder system because sometimes getting to the heights of adventure comes without the convenience of perpetual motion machines.
- Creating a roll ability for the player, to tumble under tight places
- Set up a camera follow system using Cinemachine.
- Actually turn all of this into an interesting, playable demo level.
Wow. That’s plenty.
We’ll pick right up tomorrow with setting up our player and animating them.